Fun Christmas Break Activities
There is nothing like Christmas-time in Chicago! With a plethora of options to choose from, choosing a fun activity for you and your scholar to enjoy together can be quite a challenge.
During the next three weeks, many of your scholars will be enjoying their time out of school. In a city like Chicago too much free time can sometimes lead to negative consequences.
Whether it is an exciting afternoon of ice skating or sharing laughs over pizza, bonding time with your scholar is especially important over the holidays.
Here’s a list of festive mentor-scholar activities to enjoy this Christmas season.
- There’s no admission, and you can bring your own skates or rent a pair for $13 on weekdays, and $15 on weekends and holidays.
- See the tree light up every night at sunset from now through early January.
- Head inside the museum to see the Thorne Miniature Rooms, featuring 68 tiny rooms with historical furnishings and festive decorations.
- This annual celebration at the Museum of Science and Industry showcases a spectacular 45-foot Grand Tree, surrounded by 50 decorated trees representing Chicago’s diverse international communities and their holiday traditions. You’ll even be showered in indoor “snow.”
- The free festival includes holiday crafts, pictures with Santa, live ice carving, animal encounters, a train ride, the carousel — and so much more.
- With tons of (indoor!) holiday-themed fun, you will love the festive rides, slides, climbing walls, obstacle courses, indoor ice skating, and twinkling forest of more than 500 decorated trees.
- Wander through an enchanted, illuminated trail during at Chicago Botanical Garden's Lightscape.